Ever heard of the YouTube Rainbow Bar? We’re sure that most of you don’t have any idea about what the rainbow bar on YouTube is. Some people say that it’s a glitch, some say that it’s a premium feature, while some believe that it’s just a gimmick.
So what exactly is this Rainbow bar feature and more importantly, how can you enable it? Stick around, because in this blog, we’ll cover everything that you need to know about the YouTube rainbow bar.
What exactly is the YouTube Rainbow Bar?
You must have noticed a thin strip at the bottom of every YouTube video after you play a video. This strip runs from one end of the screen to the other end of the screen and serves multiple functions like playback controls, shows the length of the video, and helps in seeking to any specific part of the video that you wish.
Now, this bar or stripe is usually red in colour and doesn’t have any effects. But there is a certain method that you can use to convert your boring YouTube bar into a bar with cool rainbow effects. This rainbow bar will simultaneously flash all the seven colours of a rainbow (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red) which is super satisfying to watch.
Moreover, enabling the rainbow bar on YouTube just adds this cool visual effect to it and doesn’t affect its usability in any way. But how exactly can you enable this feature? Keep reading to find out.
How to enable the Rainbow Bar on YouTube?
We’re sure that you must be very excited to try out this crazy hidden feature of YouTube and turn your progress bar into a rainbow. There are 2 methods that you can use to turn on your Rainbow YouTube Bar Effect;
- The Magic Word
- Installing Extension
The Magic Word
This is the official method that anyone can use to instantly enable their custom YouTube progress bar. Here’s a step-by-step guide for you to enable your YouTube Progress Bar:
- Play a YouTube video on a browser in your PC, Mac, or any other device that’s connected to an external keyboard.
- Once the video is playing, left click on any empty space on your screen to make sure nothing’s selected.
- Type “Awesome” on your Keyboard (Don’t type this in the search bar)
- Your YouTube Rainbow bar will be enabled.
- You can always type “Awesome” to disable this feature
You can also enable your Rainbow YouTube progress bar by installing an extension for YouTube. However, you must keep in mind that this will give your seek bar a permanent rainbow effect which will only go away after you’ve either disabled or uninstalled the extension.
Here’s how you can use an extension to enable the YouTube bar:
- Go to your browser’s extension store and search for “Rainbow SeekBar For YouTube” and download the extension.
- Once installed, click on the extension and follow the steps to set it up.
- Once you’re done, go to youtube.com and play any video of your choice
- Your seek bar will be replaced by a cool rainbow effect bar.
Note: The Rainbow bar feature is only available for devices with keyboards such as PCs, Macs, and Tablets/iPads.
Why did YouTube introduce the Rainbow Bar Feature?
YouTube is one of the biggest social media platforms to ever exist. With over 2 Billion monthly users (1/4 of Earth’s population) YouTube has become a life-changing platform for millions of creators and individuals out there.
The team at YouTube understands that people from all genders, races, communities, countries, and ethnicities use their platform to freely create content and reach out to Billions of people on the platform. YouTube keeps coming up with some easter eggs and hidden features to maintain equality and a sense of free speech on the platform.
YouTube rainbow bar is one such easter egg that was introduced back in 2017 in support of the LGBTQ+ community which has always been neglected by people. The YouTube rainbow bar is a feature that resembles the Pride Flag to reinstate equality and acknowledge diversity in this world.
There are thousands of creators on YouTube who belong to the LGBTQ+ community and introducing the Rainbow Bar feature is YouTube’s way of empowering them and telling them that the platform respects their lifestyle and emotions. You can understand the pain of not getting enough views on your videos as a new or underrated creator.
Most LGBTQ+ community creators give their very best and still fail to get enough views because of the discrimination and hatred. However, they can easily tackle this and rise to the top by choosing to buy real YouTube views for elevating their YouTube success in an instant and earn the respect they long for as a creator.
One thing that you should keep in mind is that the rainbow bar is only meant to be used by the LGBTQ+ community. It’s an universal feature which is free to use for everyone on YouTube to either support the community or just to enable a cool custom seek bar.
Customize your YouTube progress bar as you like it:
We’ve covered a lot about the YT Rainbow bar in this blog which raises an obvious doubt, If there any other customization for the YouTube Seek bar? Well, the answer is yes! There are many options out there that you can use to customise your seek bar and some of those methods are:
- Seek Bar Customizer: The seek bar customizer is a very commonly used Chrome extension that you can use to customise your themes and preset colours along with your seek bar. It’s super fun and you can give it a try if you like exploring new features.
- Opera extension: You can always install the YouTube seek bar colour changer extension to change the colour of your Seek Bar to any colour of your choice on the Opera browser.
- Extension for Firefox: Using the user Content.css file to add new CSS rules that override the colour code of your YouTube seek bar is also an option if you wish to change your seekbar’s colours on YouTube.
Some Extra Hidden Features of YouTube
There are many hidden features on YouTube just like the rainbow bar easter egg. Some of those hidden features can be super helpful in enhancing your video viewing experience and can even help you completely customise your YouTube panel. We’re listing some of the most useful and cool hidden features of YouTube that you can use to elevate your user experience and show off in front of your friends and family:
- Lights Off: This is a very helpful yet little-known feature that can easily improve your YouTube video viewing experience by multiple folds. All you need to do is ‘Press Alt + L’ which will turn off all the background lights on your device, providing you with a true dark mode for an immersive video viewing experience.
- Enhancer: This is another highly useful tool that one can use to almost completely customize their YouTube interface and unlock features like audio boost, cinema mode, auto-repeat, and much more.
- Tapermonkey: Tapermonkey is a great extension for YouTube if you’re willing to completely customize your YouTube theme and seek bar for a better user experience.
- Ads views Booster: This one’s for the brands and businesses out there. If you’re tired of not getting enough views on your YT ads, then you can just buy YouTube ads views from websites like Qubeviews to get real views on your ads for more conversions and sales.
YouTube Rainbow bar is not just a gimmick but an actual easter egg introduced by YouTube to empower its LGBTQ+ creators and viewers. The feature has existed for a really long time and can be used by anyone for a new custom user experience on the platform.
YouTube does allow some control over customizations and its appearance but at the same time, it’s important to understand that as a user, you don’t have access to everything on YouTube. However, this isn’t true about one thing which is, finding out who liked your comment. We have curated a complete guide on How to see who liked your YouTube comment that you can check out to find who’s been liking your comments.
1. How do I make my YouTube bar colourful?
You can type “Awesome” on your keyboard while your video is playing to turn on the YouTube Rainbow Bar.
2. How do I change the colour of my progress bar on YouTube?
You can either type “Awesome” on your screen while your video is playing, use extensions, or install CSS scripts to change the colour of your YouTube seek bar.
3. How do you get the rainbow progress bar on YouTube Mobile?
The Rainbow Progress bar is an easter egg that was launched exclusively for PCs, Tablets (with an external keyboard), and Macs. So no, you enable the YT rainbow bar on Mobile phones.
4. What is the white bar on YouTube?
You might have noticed a white bar that’s always ahead of your progress bar on YouTube. Well, that white bar is nothing but the portion of your video that’s ready to be played.
5. What does the yellow YouTube progress bar on YouTube mean?
The yellow YouTube progress bar only appears whenever an ad appears on your video. Once the ad is over, the progress bar changes back to the usual red and grey colour.