Do you know “Why does YouTube have a black ribbon”? Many people are unaware of the reason behind the presence of black ribbon on Google and YouTube’s homepage. YouTube is the worldwide video streaming app owned by Google. Both are interlinked & the black ribbon appears on both due to the same reason.
We know that black color is a sign of mourning, grief, and sorrow, & in the same way, the black ribbon is also a sign of remembrance and mourning of any historical incident, injustice, or death of any historical personality. YouTube and Google change their homepage and logos to honor the special events or against any injustice. YouTube, Google, and all social media use black ribbon to show their sympathy and heartily feelings to the victim’s family in hours of sorrow and grief.
Why Does YouTube Have the Black Ribbon These Days?
On 10th April 2021, a black ribbon was displayed under the search bar of YouTube and Google. It was placed to commemorate the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. He was the husband of the Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth. On the 9th April (Friday), it was stated by Buckingham palace that her Majesty Queen had announced the death of her Royal Highness during the age of 99 at Windsor Castle.
Now Britain has entered eight days of national lamentations following the death of Prince Philip, and this period will remain until 8 a.m. on the day after Prince’s funeral. His funeral will be in St George Chapel at Windsor Castle, and till then, no law will pass, TV presenters will wear black, and meaning flags will lower to half-intensity.
Some Other Incidents Where YouTube & Google Put Black Ribbon
YouTube and Google have shown sympathy for the victim and his family in the past in this way. Some examples are as follows;
- On 3rd November 2020, YouTube and Google put a black ribbon on their homepage for a victim of a shooting attack in Vienna.
- On Sunday 31st May 2020, YouTube and Google put a black ribbon on their homepage in favor of protest against the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man. With the following statement of Alphabet and Sundar Pichai: “we put a black ribbon in support of racial equality in solidarity with the black community and memory of George Floyd.
- On 18th April 2020, the black ribbon was displayed in response to the spree killing death of Nova Scotia in Canada.
- On 8th November 2018, YouTube displayed a black ribbon with respect for the victims of the Thousands Oak shooting in Thousand Oaks, California.
- On 20th December 2016, the black ribbon was displayed with the text “we are with the victim of Berlin and their families” after a truck attack in Belin, Germany.
There are many such events where YouTube and Google show their sympathy and thoughts by displaying the black ribbon on their site. It is YouTube and Google’s way of respecting the victims of any incident.
You might be interested in